Every blooming day is an indication of new change. Change is inevitable. Positive change is the pathway for accelerating growth and is a bench mark for ‘Golden Future’. ISBR has undergone drastic changes in recent times to ensure that the budding managers get correct guidance in choosing their career. “C-Talks” are the means through which students get chance to interact with company CEOs, Directors, CFOs etc. and get inspired by their journey from base to tip. They are generally interactive sessions rather than a one-way communication. Students and Speakers take equal interest in interacting effectively. A ‘positive aura’ spreads in the whole environment. This ‘positive aura’, results in ‘positive change’ which in turn lead to a beautiful land of long-lasting success.
15 April 2017 Saturday, was the third session of this on-going C -Talk series. The students were ready with new energy and zeal. Their eagerness and energy was so high that one can easily identify that this was the reflection of exposure and knowledge they got in previous two talks. Yet another reason to keep the students interested to attend the C-talk in the midst of MILAAP (Sports Meet) was Mr. Sandeep Tyagi- HR Director of SAMSUNG Electronics and the speaker of the day.
Mr. Sandeep is an Alumni of BHARTIYA VIDYA BHAWAN and has worked in VIDEOCON as VP-HR. He is currently the Director-HR of SAMSUNG Electronics.
He easily connected to the students and addressed the audience as “Young Leaders.” According to him we are in a “VUCA World” i.e. a dynamic world where technology is impacting our day to day life and discussed about the power of technology. He also touched upon how the element of ‘nationalism’ is increasing globally.
Just like five senses responsible for functioning of life, there are five qualities which Samsung looks out before hiring ” young leaders”. These are:
1. Creative Intelligence: To survive in ’VUCA world’, it is utmost necessary to sharpen our brain and think out of the box. To match up the speed of the dynamic world, innovative thoughts must sprout frequently. One must work out in this direction and try to improvise the creative intelligence quotient. Samsung being a largest player in Display and LED looks “creative intelligence” as the most important attribute before hiring.
2. Driving for Results: Samsung being a leader always emphasis on results and the qualities which drive them toward the desired results. They look out for the candidates who have the potential to maintain the company in Top 5 position in every field they are indulged in.
3. Building Teams: The quality of a leader is to build a team, keep up the team spirit and then work towards the goal collectively. Successful team work is the pillar for the success of this organisation. That is the reason why Samsung looks out Team Building qualities in an individual as the key factor before hiring the candidates.
4. Inspiring others: Inspiring others is equally important as inspiring self. It is the inspiration taken from their respective role models that this world witnessed unimaginable leaders. Inspiring others is an art in itself. Every person especially the ones who are aspiring to become leaders must inculcate this quality. This quality is utmost necessary for synergic work of any organisation. Thus Samsung focuses, “on what extent the candidate is able to inspire others “before hiring them.
5. Navigating the Organisation: Before starting a journey one must be completely aware of how the vehicle works, what is the condition of the vehicle, road and also the climatic conditions. This helps in a better ride. In the similar way before joining an organisation it is the responsibility of the individual to navigate about the organisation as whole. This attribute of Navigation helps a lot in the future and avoid consequences in the organisation. Samsung being a leader looks at it as a key quality before hiring.
In-order to lead the market Samsung aims in enhancing the above mentioned qualities and also incentive based performance and talent management. Timely encouragement is provided for better results. Samsung is the pioneer of “Innovation”, it provides independence to youngsters to set up the start-ups. Irrespective of success or failure of the start-up it encourages new ideas. In-addition, Samsung treats all Samsung product users as a part of ‘Samsung family’. This shows the eminent standards of the firm.
Mr. Tyagi suggested the youngsters,” Take charge of your life, upgrade yourself and instead of marketing concentrate on ‘target marketing’.”
He thus concluded and opened the stage for questions and as usual our students had a healthy Q & A round. Students were able to tune themselves and refine their thoughts.
The important take away of this particular talk was that the students got a direction and areas that they have to look upon to undergo the career journey in a convenient manner.
Many such talks are lined up in near future and ISBR is confident enough to bring the desired changes in the thought processes of the young minds and make them strong enough to face the “Vuca World” in a creative way.
– Arvind & Team
(Members of Writer’s & Media Club)